Contact Us

Building Commission
1 NW Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Civic Center Complex, Room 310
Evansville, IN 47708
Get Directions  | Location Details
  • Phone:  (812) 436-7879
  • Phone:  (812) 435-5788
  • Business:  (812) 436-7885
  • Fax:  (812) 436-7869
  • Staff Directory
  • Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm

In This Department

Topics of Interest

Department Home

More Information

Building Permits


Building permits are issued by the Building Commission for the protection of you, other citizens and future building owners.  State of Indiana establishes the codes for all aspects of construction and requires them to be enforced. Building permits and inspections assure work is done in compliance with state and local safety and fire prevention codes.  Building permits also assure work you contract out is done by qualified licensed professional contractors with proper insurance, surety bond and Worker's Compensation insurance. Evansville and Vanderburgh County Ordinances require permits and inspections and licensed contractors for the work done on buildings. 

Online Permit and Inspection Search  For best results, use your application reference number.  You can also search by parcel ID number, contractor name, contractor number, or property address.  

When is a Permit Required?

  • A building permit is required for all new buildings, additions, or structural alterations to existing buildings; including accessory buildings, swimming pools, windows, siding, and re-roofing.
  • A building wrecking permit is required for the demolition of all buildings, including accessory buildings.
  • A building moving permit is required any time a building is moved to a new location.
  • A fire alarm permit is required when you are adding new system or improving an existing system.
  • A fire suppression permit is required when you are adding a new system or improving an existing system.
  • An HVAC permit is required if you are installing or replacing a furnace, wood burning stove, fireplace, central air conditioning unit or making alterations to the distribution or fuel supply system.
  • An electrical permit is required if you are installing a new service, new wiring or rewiring.

 I am Looking For...