Contact Us

Building Commission
1 NW Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Civic Center Complex, Room 310
Evansville, IN 47708
Get Directions  | Location Details
  • Business:  (812) 435-5788
  • Business:  (812) 436-7879
  • Fax:  (812) 436-7869
  • Staff Directory
  • Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm

In This Department

Topics of Interest

Department Home

More Information

Building Permits



Building permits are issued by the Building Commission for the protection of you, other citizens and future building owners.  State of Indiana establishes the codes for all aspects of construction and requires them to be enforced. Building permits and inspections assure work is done in compliance with state and local safety and fire prevention codes.  Building permits also assure work you contract out is done by qualified licensed professional contractors with proper insurance, surety bond and Worker's Compensation insurance. Evansville and Vanderburgh County Ordinances require permits and inspections and licensed contractors for the work done on buildings. 

To check the status of a permit or inspections, visit THIS WEBSITE and enter only the application number in the last fillable box before hitting 'search'.  When your permit details appear on the next page, hit 'Details' at the far right side of the information.  Here you can see permit details, scheduled and completed inspections. You can view issued permits using a GIS web Map. 

When is a Permit Required?

  • A building permit is required for all new buildings, additions, or structural alterations to existing buildings; including accessory buildings, swimming pools, windows, siding, and re-roofing and must be obtained prior to starting work.
  • A building wrecking permit is required for the demolition of all buildings, including accessory buildings and must be obtained prior to demo.
  • A building moving permit is required any time a building is moved to a new location and must be obtained prior to moving a building.
  • A fire alarm permit is required when you are adding new system or improving an existing system and must be obtained prior to starting work.
  • A fire suppression permit is required when you are adding a new system or improving an existing system an must be obtained prior to starting work.
  • An HVAC permit is required if you are installing or replacing a furnace, wood burning stove, fireplace, central air conditioning unit or making alterations to the distribution or fuel supply system and must be obtained prior to starting work.
  • An electrical permit is required if you are installing a new service, new wiring or rewiring and must be obtained prior to starting work.

A Floodplain Development Permit

A Floodplain Development Permit shall be required in conformance with the provisions of this ordinance prior to the commencement of any development activities in areas of special flood hazard.

“Development” means any man-made change to improved or unimproved real estate including but not limited to:

(1)    construction, reconstruction, or placement of a structure or any addition to a structure;

(2)    installing a manufactured home on a site, preparing a site for a manufactured home or installing a recreational vehicle on a site for more than 180 days;

(3)    installing utilities, erection of walls and fences, construction of roads, or similar projects;

(4)    construction of flood control structures such as levees, dikes, dams, channel improvements, etc.;

(5)    mining, dredging, filling, grading, excavation, or drilling operations;

(6)    construction and/or reconstruction of bridges or culverts;

(7)    storage of materials; or

(8)    any other activity that might change the direction, height, or velocity of flood or surface waters.

"Development" does not include activities such as the maintenance of existing structures and facilities such as painting, re-roofing; resurfacing roads; or gardening, plowing, and similar agricultural practices that do not involve filling, grading, excavation, or the construction of permanent structures.

To Apply for a Floodplain Development Permit, Click Here

*Fill out the form and email the completed form to 

Per EMC 15.05.430 (B) ... Where work requiring a permit is started before a permit is obtained, the fee shall be tripled...

 I am Looking For...